Wednesday 4 May 2016

Nursery Visit - Burnham Nurseries

Phew. Feels like its been ages since I posted last. I literally haven't stopped. The gardening season is upon us and suddenly the weather has cottoned on to the fact that it is May meaning there are a lot more projects to be eating into my time. I'll continue to post though, because Orchids wait for no man, and there are already things to show you all.

I will do a new plants post separately to this so the pictures I post on here can't be mistaken for my own plants. During my recent visit to Cornwall I managed to drop into Burnham Nurseries (it's en-route....honest). As ever, the staff there were very friendly, and I was "sent" down to Orchid Paradise (the showroom where they put their specimen plants that are in bloom). I say "sent"; it was clearly no hardship to go and look at their stunning orchid collection. I took lots of photos and I'm still green with envy at the lovely plants they grow. It's good to see how the proper experts do it....I'm just an amateur, after all.

I also had lunch in their lovely cafe and was impressed with the food. Nothing fancy, but nicely done. The poor guys were having a bit of a rush but I was still impressed with the speed and quality of the food. No complaints from me there!

On to business....here are some photos of the lovely plants I saw there (some of them, at least). I will put names where I managed to get a photo of the tag.

Coelogyne Green Dragon. This was actually in the sales area, priced at £100. It is a huge plant, though.

I believe this is now called Coelogyne magnifica, though I always knew it as Coelogyne mooreana 'brockhurst'

Cochleanthes discolor.  There were some of these for sale in the sales area but truth be told I'm a bit frightened of Cochleanthes as I've never been successful with them.

Paphiopedilum malipoense. Quite a striking flower even for a non-Paphiopedilum lover like me.

Wilsonara widdecombe faire 'Burnham' - I've always liked these, but they do grow huge!

Sudamerlycaste locusta 'Chelsea'. I've never grown Lycaste or its relatives, but this apple green flower is quite striking.

Lycaste aromatica. Another orchid I love but have never been able to grow.

Maxillaria triloris. I think this will have to go on my 'to get' list. Love it.

Miltonia spectabilis. I have this plant in my own collection so hopefully there'll be a post about it when it blooms.

Miltonia flavescens. I have this one, too. Can't wait for flowers.

Dendrobium polysema. Bit of an oddity, but quite attractive to me, at least!


Two colour forms of Coelogyne ochracea. I particularly like the pale form of this species, but I find it difficult to grow as my conditions are rather too warm for it.

Dendrobium brymerianum. Another stunner that I can't grow!

And to finish, just a little Brassia in bloom. I didn't see what variety it was, but its quite impressive!



No comments:

Post a Comment