Wednesday 4 May 2016

Bloom Event - Bulbophyllum wendlandianum

I've never really grown Bulbophyllum. My first experience of them wasn't good because I bought one before I could give it the conditions it wanted. At least now I can keep them alive. Through most of my orchid growing career I have been a chronic underwaterer and while this might be fine for some orchids, it certainly does not suit Bulbophyllum which really don't like to dry out and suffer if they do. This is compounded by the fact that Bulbophyllum are generally small sprawly plants with very shallow root systems that dry out very quickly indeed. I have learned my lesson though, and I am doing better with them now I water more often.

The particular species I am featuring here I got from eBay over a year ago. This is actually the second time it has bloomed for me so I must be doing something right. My first photo is a bit of a close up because the flowers are so very unusual.


I really like the tassels on the upper sepal and petals. They flutter in the slightest breeze, as does the rocking lip which I'm told is something of a distinguishing feature for many Bulbophyllum. Now there is a bit of a problem with these flowers along with quite a lot of Bulbophyllum species: The smell. One might be kind and describe this as 'fragrant' but 'odorous' might be a better word. The flowers are trying to attract those unspeakable creatures that consume the rotting flesh and excrement of the world, and I'd say they do a pretty good job of it given the smell. As luck would have it you do have to get close and have a good sniff - at least it doesn't fill the room.


Although this is a slightly odd camera angle, the flowers are large for the size of the plant. The plant is small yet with only one lead growth but it hasn't been any trouble at all, apart from its slightly sprawling habit. It is actually planted in a small basket that some orchid or other originally came in (long dead), but I have put the whole thing into a clay pot (scrounged from a garden centre) to hold on to a bit of moisture and humidity. I've no doubt that it'll root onto the clay and it'll end up being stuck in there forever, but I don't really mind that. More Bulbophyllum will turn up in my next 'new plants' post, so I must be somewhat encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment