Thursday 9 June 2016

Bloom Event - Paphiopedilum no ID

With the exception of the ubiquitous Phalaenopsis, there are getting very few plants in my collection that have no name. This isn't as snobbish as it sounds; I just like to do research into my plants to make sure I get the best out of them. If I don't know what a plants background is, I might grow it too hot or too cold (less likely); it might need a dry rest, or extra water - there's no way to know for sure. At any rate, I only have two Paphiopedilum with no name. One is a multi-bloomer that doesn't bloom (too hot, I'm sure), and the other is a delightful complex hybrid that does very well indeed for me. It is so nice both in bloom and as foliage and growth that I'm sure it must have a name and I really should make some effort to find out.



From talking to some people who know more of Slipper orchids than me, it seems that it probably contains some P. tonsum somewhere in its background, and probably some P. maudiae too. As I keep on saying, I'm not a big fan of slipper orchids as a rule, but this is a real favourite of mine. It blooms very regularly, at least twice a year and this time there are not one but two flowers. Now normally I wouldn't bore you with two flowers off the same plant but this time I have to make an exception because the second flower has turned out a bit.....weird.


Notice the spotting is heavier than on the other flower but only on one side. Ditto with the purple cast on the right hand lateral petal. I knew there was something funny going on as soon as the bud emerged from the crown because one side was purple and one side was green. I should have taken a photo, really, but I kind of expected it not to open.  I'd love to know what has caused this,  but I suppose I never will. It will be interesting to see whether the new fans coming up from the one that produced this flower will show the same mutation or whether they will come up normal. If they come up like this, I'll divide the plant and grow it on separately as a curiosity.


One of the things I like about this plant, apart from the pretty flowers, is that the foliage is very nice and always stays clean. It doesn't drop leaves or get brown tips so it always looks in tip-top condition. I wish more orchids performed like this. It also seems very willing to clump up and produce more than one flower at a time as well as not having a specific season to bloom.

The only thing it is missing is that name.

No comments:

Post a Comment