Wednesday 8 June 2016

Bloom Event - Bifrenaria aureo-fulva and Bulbophyllum falcatum

In case anyone was wondering, I am still here. It's 'that time of year', and there are a lot of demands on my time, my allotment(s) being the largest one. As it happens, this coincides with a comparative dry spell, orchid wise, so it works quite well. There are quite a lot of things in the pipeline, plenty of orchids coming into spike, and one or two updates to plants already featured.

For today though, I thought I'd highlight a couple of species orchids that have bloomed for me but that I haven't had the time to write a post for. They are both a little uninspiring for the casual orchid grower (if such a thing exists), but still both quite beautiful to me.

The first of these is Bifrenaria aureo-fulva. Apparently, this one can't decide which genus it lives in and bounces between Bifrenaria and Stenocoryne. The poor thing must be confused. I have always known it as Bifrenaria however, and that is how I shall always refer to it. When talking about Bifrenaria to someone who has a passing interest in orchid growing beyond the usual Phalaenopsis, the species B. harrisoniae is the usual one that gets talked about because of its long lasting, showy and very fragrant (chemical to my nose, but what do I know?) blooms. Unfortunately, this species is also a pig to grow and I long ago gave up on it. Bifrenaria aureo-fulva, however, seems a different story. I got the plant in an exchange with a friend back in February. I won't lie, I took the plant with some trepidation after my experience with the beautiful but ghastly B. harrisoniae. I needn't have worried though, as it almost immediately put out a new growth and a flower spike.


Not what you'd expect from a Bifrenaria, is it? Yes, the flowers are pretty much fully open. I read that they are reputedly fragrant, but I can't say I noticed and it is my habit to have a good sniff at any open flowers, a habit I often regret with stinkier species. The above is the best photo I could manage (another reason I have hesitated before including it here), as the flowers are held on what I consider to be an unreasonably long flower spike either for the size of the plant or the size of the flowers so they are forever waving about in the slightest waft of air. You get the general idea, though. In many other plants, flowers of this sort of colour and shape indicate bird pollination (as does a lack of scent; birds can't smell very well). I would be very interested to know whether this species is bird pollinated, but I don't know for sure and Google doesn't seem overly forthcoming with information on this species.

The plant is compact, and growing happily in a 9cm pot with still room to spare. I rather like the angular shape of the very solid pseudobulbs and they have an interesting rough texture, too.


It was very difficult to get the whole plant, including flowers, on one shot without showing you all the rather unattractive underside of my cupboards in the growroom. The growth to the left is the newest. All in all, this seems a good little grower, though I won't say it is truly settled in until it has been with me for 12 months. Apparently, this species needs a dry winter rest to flower well, so we'll see how we get on.

The second species I have to show you in this post is another of my fairly recent acquisitions, from my Mayday visit to Burnham Nurseries, Bulbophyllum falcatum. You will remember me saying at the time that the plant had a flower spike emerging, so I can't take any credit at all for the flowers. I suppose you'd say this one possesses what you might call 'botanical interest'.


The blooms are tiny and held either side of a flower spike that is flattened into the shape of a propeller blade (hence the name falcatum). I will admit now that this isn't the species I thought I was buying, but that doesn't matter. The species I had in mind when I picked this up was, I think, Bulbophyllum purpureorachis which has a much bigger upright, flattened and twisted flower spike that puts me in mind of one of those pointless dangling wind ornaments that twists in the breeze. Nevertheless, I was pleased to see this flower, and it is quite pretty though you have to get very close, or really magnify them to see the flowers well. Sadly for my readers, it is way beyond my photographic skill (or the budget required to get a camera capable of decent macro shots) to get a decent shot of something that small. So you'll have to take my word for it at present. Many photos of this plant show a green flower spike rather than the attractive reddish purple we have here. I think it sets of the yellow flowers much better than a green one would have. I couldn't detect a scent, but it would have to be pretty powerful on a flower that small for me to pick it up.


The plant hasn't really done anything since I got it except for put out those flowers. It appears to be bifoliate which is different to the other Bulbophyllum I have. I read that it is a hot grower so it should do well for me, providing I can keep it well watered. Once it puts out new growth and roots, I will stop worrying about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment