Monday 3 October 2016

Bloom Event - Cymbidium ensifolium "Shi Chang Hong"

And so the Cymbidium saga continues. This one has only produced one spike of flowers, but I'm not complaining. It is a smaller plant than "Ching Sha Yu Chun" in its overall dimensions, though it seems to have settled into its new home just as well.  Cymbidium ensifolium "Shi Chang Hong" has dainty pinkish flowers with darker striping on the petals.


I don't usually go in for the more pastel colours of flowers but this one is so elegant that I can't help but love it. Once again, the flower spike has taken on the colour of the flowers which seems to make the flowers stand out even more, especially contrasting the leaves. This one also has that lovely citrus scent, though it doesn't seem so strong to me. I guess that could just be because there are less flowers.


Only three flowers on the spike, this time. Even with only three flowers, the plant still doesn't look out of proportion as it really is tiny for a Cymbidium. I think I have said it before somewhere, but I'll say it again. I can't for the life of me understand why there aren't more of these available in this country, especially now our houses are warmer. These Cymbidium enjoy similar temperatures to Phalaenopsis so should make excellent houseplants. They will even tolerate considerably more light than Phalaenopsis so ought to be a great windowsill orchid. Maybe it's just a matter of time.


There really isn't a lot more to say about this one that doesn't apply to the last one, but that's not to say I don't find it equally gorgeous in its way. There is a new bud forming at the base of one of the other pseudobulbs but its way too early to tell whether it will turn out to be a flower bud or a new growth. I think I'd prefer a new growth now I've seen what the flowers are like. After all, the more new growth it produces, the more flowers I'll get in future.

I expect it will be a while before there is another Cymbidium related post, as although the two Cymbidium sinense hybrids are both in spike, they seem slower developing than either of Cymbidium ensifolium. There will, of course, be other Bloom Event posts in the meantime.

No comments:

Post a Comment