Wednesday 29 June 2016

New Plants - Phalaenopsis species

Good grief, it feels like aeons since I last put up a post on here, even though it must only be a couple of weeks. Rest assured, I'm not abandoning my dear readers, I've just been here, there and everywhere with visiting family, allotments, holidays and work. Last week, I spend some valued time in the tranquil peace and quiet of lovely Cheesewring Farm on the southeast corner of Bodmin Moor in Cornwall. The weather could, franky, have been better, but I rather fancy I did better than many parts of the country and there was plenty of 'useable' weather. Anyway,  I'm sure you don't come here to be regaled with stories of my holidays, so suffice it to say that on the final day I made sure I paid a visit to Burnham Nurseries over in Devon. I was in two minds whether to visit or not because I only visited them in Early May and got new plants then, but I'm glad I did because they had been to the Malvern Show and had got quite a lot of new plants; seemingly just for my delectation.

They had quite a few Phalaenopsis species at fairly reasonable prices for reasonable sized plants, so I picked a few up, along with a couple of other species.


First up is Phalaenopsis schillerana. I've wanted one of these for quite some time but had only found a hybrid at a price I was willing to pay. It is with trepidation that I now take the species into my collection as it has somewhat of a reputation as a bit of a diva, liking warmer conditions than the average living room, especially at night during winter when many warm growers can suffer. Hopefully it'll do fine in my growroom - there haven't been any winter complaints yet! Phalaenopsis schillerana is a gorgeous species which bears long branching spikes of anything up to 200 fragrant flowers on mature plants. I think my plant has a way to go before it produces that kind of show, but it does appear to be approaching flowering size. I particularly like the mottled leaves and the flattened roots. It is little details like that that are missing from the hybrids and which make the species so endearing.


Second we have Phalaenopsis philippinensis. Some authorities seem to have this one down as a hybrid between P. schillerana and P. aphrodite. I don't know whether this is true or not, but I would doubt it based on my own observations of this particular plant. If we compare it to Phalaenopsis schillerana which is both described above and visible on the above photo, there are quite obvious differences in the shape, colour and patterning of the leaves which doesn't make sense for it to be a hybrid with P. aphrodite. At any rate, the flowers are white or pale pink and again, seem to be generously produced on mature plants. There are two plants in this pot (that's why I picked this one) so I might leave them together or divide them. I haven't decided yet.


Next up is Phalaenopsis violacea. I have been on the lookout for one of these at a reasonable size and price and finally I have found one. I am hoping it proves to be as easy a grower as the couple of its hybrids I am already growing. This species likes deep shade (hence the very broad leaves) and high humidity. Flowers are produced on short spikes a couple at a time and are extremely fragrant. This species is often used to introduce scent into more complex hybrids. You can't see easily on this photo but there is a flower spike already which has previously bloomed so hopefully it will do so again. This species is smaller overall than the very similar Phalaenopsis bellina which hails from Borneo (violacea comes from Sumatra) but is easier to hybridise with. I very much look forward to seeing (and smelling) this one bloom.


Above is Phalaenopsis luddemanniana var. deltonii. I did get hold of a Phalaenopsis luddemanniana a year or so ago on eBay but the plant was very sickly (root mealybugs) and eventually ended up on the compost heap in the sky before it spread its bugs onto the rest of the collection (first rule of orchid growing - know a lost cause when you see one). I'm glad to have found a healthy plant. This one is a year or two away from blooming I'd say. It is a relative of P. violacea and is broadly similar to it. Its flowers have a pale background (white or yellow depending on variety) with a bold overlay of neon pink. Fragrant, to boot. Flower spikes should be left for as long as they are green (something I do with all orchids if I think there's a chance of more flowers) I'm told this one has a tendency to produce keikis so I look forward to some free plants in future.


The last Phalenopsis species is P. cochlearis. This is a new one on me, I've not seen it before, but I couldn't resist it once I saw the flower. Not that there is a wealth of information out there on this species, but I have read that it is a bit difficult to grow. From what I can gather it grows on limestone outcrops in its native habitat so I wonder if it might benefit from some limestone chips in its potting mix (not that there's any in there at the moment or that I have any to put in - I suppose crushed eggshells might do the same job). It doesn't seem that widely grown but there are a few hybrids of it out there, and the flower markings are quite variable, too, with some plants having much more brown markings in the centre.


The above is just a better view of the flower. Look at that lip. I can see how it got its name.



The first of two plants not to be Phalaenopsis is Vandopsis gigantea. Yes, I know its not exactly gigantic at the moment, but it'll get there. Eventually. Seriously, this one gets to be huge. My plant is clearly quite a lot of years away from blooming size. I don't usually buy seedlings as I haven't the patience to wait for them to grow, but this one wasn't expensive and seems a nice healthy plant. It is also the only way I'll be able to get this species at a reasonable price. In fact, I don't think i've seen a flowering plant, like, ever. Google this species and you'll see the gargantuan size it reaches. Go on, I dare you.



Lastly is a species from a genus almost totally unknown to me (aside from the one(s) that grow native here in the UK). This is Liparis nutans. It produces sprays of small red flowers from the top of its pseudobulbs.  From what I read it will grow cool or warm, so hopefully it'll do OK. As I always say with new plants, I prefer to see new growth before flowers, so I can be sure the plants are settling in. Watch this space.

No comments:

Post a Comment