Friday 1 April 2016

Bloom Event - Brassia verrucosa

I got this plant at Christmas from a British Orchid nursery (no prizes for guessing which one), and it put out a flower spike almost straight away, which I wasn't expecting. I got a couple of other Brassia at the same time, which have been rather more sensible and put out new growth. I potted them into pond pots as soon as I saw new roots, and both of them look to be doing rather well for themselves. Not that Brassia verrucosa isn't. It has also put out new growth and is starting to produce roots, but I haven't been able to repot it as I wanted to though, because it rather selfishly decided to bloom. There are 10 flowers on the spike, which I consider to be pretty good going for a young plant.


I love the delicate markings on the lip. On close inspection the little green spots are raised (hence the name verrucosa), and the flowers are lightly fragrant. They are a decent size, too at around ten inches from top to bottom.


I'm doubly pleased with this because traditionally I haven't been very good with Brassia, but the four plants I have now seem to be doing well. They seem to like rather more water than I had ever given them credit for before, and don't really seem to rest between completing a growth and starting a new one. It is looking like they appreciate a bit more air around their roots, hence they seem to be doing well in the pond pots with regular water and fertilizer.


I really like this plant, and I'm doubly pleased that its a species and is still growing well for me. I got Brassia verrucosa var. brachiata at the same time which is reputed to have larger flowers than this (bigger than ten inches??), so I look forward to seeing that bloom, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment