Tuesday 15 March 2016

Bloom Event - Pollardia (Encyclia) linkiana

I grew this species years ago before I moved to where I live now, and it did well for me. I got a replacement last year and finally it has come into bloom for me. This is a truly lovely miniature species, and as such is an absolute bugger to get a decent photo of, especially with my phone camera, so I ask you to excuse the state of my photography !


I always knew this as Encyclia linkiana, but apparently the taxonomists have been at it again and now this and a few other species have been split off in to genus Pollardia.  It seems an adaptable species, and grows perfectly well in my warm growroom. I would have liked more than two flowers, but the plant is still rather young. And it needs its potting medium changed. The most noticeable feature of this plant is its size. It really is tiny. So cute. The flowers are actually quite fragrant which I don't think I have ever noticed before, so that earns it even more brownie points.


Notice the plant label for scale. This is pretty much an adult plant. I think it'll do better once I have changed the potting medium, but it always has seemed perfectly happy scrambling around and it is by nature shallow rooted.

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of information out there about this species, but then unless you're a weirdo like me and easily pleased I suppose its a bit uninteresting, really. I mean who gets excited about brown flowers? Still, its a winner for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment