Wednesday 2 March 2016

Bloom Event - NoID Phalaenopsis

I seem to be posting rather a lot just recently, but there is quite a lot to keep up on, and I don't want to fall behind as this is meant as an orchid journal for me, the author, as much as for you lovely readers. There are already other orchids in spike waiting in the wings and just starting to open buds, so I don't want to miss them out.

The Phalaenopsis season continues apace. For this post I have grouped together the Phalaenopsis I have rescued from garden centres (quite often very cheaply and with no idea whatsoever of what flowers I might be expecting). Part of the reason I like to occasionally rescue Phalaenopsis is that they make wonderful gifts once I get them back to a good state of health and into flower. You could call it my own craft project if you like. After all, if I actually made you something, it would look like a two year old had done it. No word of a lie.

At any rate, here are a few photos of stuff that is in bloom, Phalaenopsis wise.





I have actually taken photos of the plants themselves as well, more for my own records than anything else.



Notice on the white, the bottom leaves are turning yellow in their 'little Autumn'; nothing to worry about, perfectly natural when the plants are blooming. Notice also that the flower colour seems to have influence over the overall colour of the plant. Plants that have pink or purple flowers seem to produce darker foliage, often with purple on the leaf undersides. Not always, of course; I refer you to the last post on Phalaenopsis Nemo which has quite pale foliage for the colour of the flowers.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting to read about the little autumn..should one cut the leaves off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I like to wait for the leaves to drop on their own. While they look untidy, I am sure that the plant is re-assimilating all the nutrients from the yellowing leaves and for that reason I prefer to allow them to drop in their own time.

      Delete