Monday 18 January 2016

Bloom Event - The Phalaenopsis season begins!

For some reason, this year (or rather late last year), the vast majority of my Phalaenopsis hybrids and species have decided to produce flower spikes at the same time. This doesn't seem to be an unusual occurrence and is most likely linked to a lowering of night temperatures during the autumn. Autumn in 2015 was unseasonably warm and the growroom was getting warmer than it had managed throughout the summer (if we can call it that). For this reason, I took to opening the growroom window to let out some of the excess heat. I assume that this resulted in slightly lower night time temperatures, which in turn has provided a bloom trigger to my Phalaenopsis (there is a full length article in the pipework for Phalaenopsis in which I'll go into quite a lot more detail about what I do to them). I also began feeding more regularly this year. I have a theory that plants that do not bloom so frequently tend to bloom more strongly, and this certainly seems to be the case this year.


Phalaenopsis 'Vivian'. Unusually for garden centre purchased plants, this came with a name tag. I must admit I've not done any in-depth research on the name to see whether its a real thing or not, but at least it had a name tag. Can't say that its my favourite, but it is a very reliable bloomer and spends more time in flower than out of it. The flower spikes keep making buds, and the stem keeps activating nodes so the bloom time is very long indeed.


Phalaenopsis 'bright peacock'. I really like this hybrid as, unusually for mass produced Phalaenopsis, it is very pleasantly scented. Unfortunately the flower count isn't very high and it doesn't spike as regularly as some other hybrids, but I have a soft spot for it nevertheless and I've had it for quite some time. I guess it has P. violacea and/or P. amboinensis somewhere in its heritage, hence the scent.


This one sadly doesn't have a name that I'm aware of. It was purchased from a large UK garden centre chain (not by me - I only visit them for dog food), and was then abandoned with me (along with some other nice orchids) by a friend who was unwell. Normally I'd not be too fussed on keeping it, but it is rather appealing. Flowerings in the past have been rather disappointing with only a few flowers on the spike, but this time there are quite a few more flowers, and the spike is branched. It is impressive when in bloom. The purple spotting is different on every bloom.


Phalaenopsis kuntrarti rarashati. I have posted about this one before, so I won't repeat myself too much. It has found favour with me because of its unusual colour and its lovely spicy scent. Here's a photo of the plant.


Vigorous isn't the word! You can see all the old flower spikes on it - a very reliable bloomer for me, often with two spikes at a time. Only one this time though.

There are a LOT more Phalaenopsis still to come, both hybrids and species. The plants mentioned here are the tip of the iceberg. I do think Phalaenopsis are much maligned in some of the snobbier orchid growing circles and that is a shame because they give great rewards for very little effort.

6 comments:

  1. I must admit I've not done any in-depth research on the name to see whether its a real thing or not, but at least it had a name tag.

    For whatever it's worth, the International Orchid Register has six Phalaenopsis hybrids that include the name Vivian (Chiada Vivian, Memoria Vivian Orban, Nemesio-Viviana Cruz, Vivian Elledge Ball, Vivian Moorehead, Viviane Dream), but no Vivian by itself. So if the tag was accurate at all (which is questionable), it still isn't enough information to narrow things down to a single hybrid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the input. I do take the name Vivian with rather a large grain of salt. Still, it's nice to have something to call it other than 'that wishy washy pink one at the back'. I can't even remember why I have it; it must have been a rescue job from a garden centre bargain bench costing £1 or something. Probably I saw it had a name tag and decided to give it a go. It will have been mass produced in Holland, so god knows what its heritage is. God bless the mongrels!

      Delete
    2. I love the Kuntrati!...I wish i could grow phalaenopsis well....What fertilizer do you feed them with?

      Delete
    3. Hi Tina,

      At the moment they are getting Orchid Focus, but I'm not one for regular feeding (I don't believe it does anything). They only get fed once every couple of months. I think it is more important to get the conditions right for them. Once you do that, they just grow with very little input from me !

      Delete
    4. Do you use rainwater or tap?

      Delete
    5. I use tapwater, but I'm quite lucky as our water comes from the Elan Valley in Wales and is quite low in minerals so I don't have to worry.

      Delete