Friday 4 December 2015

Hippeastrum bloom event - Intermezzo


Here I present Hippeastrum 'Intermezzo'. I really like this hybrid, even though I'm not usually a fan of what I call 'wishy washy' colours. Other people may call them 'pastel' shades. However, there are points in its favour. Sadly my photography skills are somewhat to be desired but then this isn't about photography, is it? Had I taken a better photo, you would see that this is a very nice trumpet variety. Trumpet varieties are rather thin on the ground so I get them whenever I see them. They have wonderful stately elegant blooms that remind me even more strongly of lilies than most Hippeastrum do. The blooms are long and flared out at the end rather than opening quite flat. when I got this variety, I wasn't aware it was a trumpet variety (the vendor's photography obviously too fantastic, either!). I was also expecting a darker flower, I'm not sure why. The main point in this variety's favour is that it is scented. Any grower of garden centre bought Hippeastrum will tell you that they tend not to be scented, or very lightly at best. While I can't call this highly fragrant, it is very pleasant to smell (even if you do have to stick your nose in it to smell it properly). Seems a good grower and reliable bloomer, too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment