Sunday 20 December 2015

Bloom Events - A Few Species Orchids

I took these photos a few days ago of stuff that has put in an appearance in time for Christmas, but haven't had time to get them uploaded what with one thing and another. 

The first pretty picture shows Dendrochilum javieri. This is rather unlike my other Dendrochilum species. The flowers always look pretty similar as anyone who read my Dendrochilum magnum post will know, but the other species of Dendrochilum I grow look rather like small Aspidistra plants. This one has narrow, succulent leaves and pseudobulbs are either absent or greatly reduced. In fact, this plant could almost be mistaken for Brassavola nodosa until it blooms. There will be a post on Brassavola nodosa in the new year, as it is in spike. Dendrochilum javieri lives in the warm growroom under the lights. I can't really take any credit for blooming it, as I bought it in September, in spike, from Burnham Nurseries. It has really taken its time getting into bloom, as the flowers are still not all open yet. I haven't noticed a scent on this yet, the other species of Dendrochilum I grow are quite strong.


Next up is Dendrobium bracteosum. This is an odd little species that produces clusters of small flowers on its oldest canes. It seems to bloom at random for me, but it may be that there is some trigger that I'm not aware of. The plant is resting at the moment, though I don't keep it particularly dry.  Because of its habit of blooming on old canes and not new ones, it takes some time for this species to put on a decent show of flowers, since unless the plant is quite old, all the flowers will be on the shortest canes, the taller, newer canes not usually blooming for a year or two. My plant is not old (maybe three years) but is now larger than most specimens seen  for sale. I was expecting pink flowers as is typical for the species, but I seem to have picked up a white form. Moral of the story? Buy plants in bloom to make sure you are getting what you think you are. Not that I'm desperately fussy about flower colour.


Thirdly, we have Phalaenopsis cornu-cervi var. flava. Once again, I have ended up with a different colourform of the species. If anyone out there has any of the other colourforms and wants to donate one to me, do get in contact ! For the benefit of those who think that Phalaenopsis are all big and blousy and look the same. I really like this species. I have had it for several years (originally there were four or five plants, but I've sold the rest). This particular flower spike has been on the plant for quite a long time, and produces flushes of blooms intermittently. There are usually two flowers open at a time, and they last a few weeks, new buds opening as old blooms fall. Flower spikes that are still green should not be removed as they can continue to bloom for years. Notice in the background of the photo that the spike is flattened in shape. The leaves on this species are longer and narrower than the hybrids, but it really is just as easy a grower as the hybrids. My plant has recently put out another flower spike (as have the vast majority of the Phalaenopsis hybrids). It also seems to have the happy trait of producing baby plants (keikis) on its flower spikes that can be potted up once roots have formed.


2 comments:

  1. Very nice blog. That cornu-cervi is spectacular in the flava form. I've grown it in the past, but only the ordinary form. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm looking for the other colour forms at a price I'm willing to pay !

      Delete