Wednesday 9 December 2015

Bloom event - Sophrolaeliocattleya little hazel

I got this from Chantelle Orchids a couple of years ago and I really is a true miniature, only standing around three inches high. I assume that gorgeous deep red colour comes from its Sophronitis parent.
 I should point out now that I'm almost entirely sure that under the most recent nomenclature, this hybrid is probably just a Cattleya, rather than Sophrolaeliocattleya as I've titled it. Yes, that's right, the taxonomists have been at it again. I understand the need for accurate naming, but the constant name changes really do get confusing. I quite liked the old name as even though it was much longer, it did give some hint as to the parentage. I always feel with big genera (Dendrobium is a case in point) that they are so diverse in their species' habitats, habits and even morphology that the name really tells us almost nothing. Under the old system, if we see that Sophronitis is present in a hybrid's parentage, we immediately expect diminutive plants, often with strongly coloured flowers, large for the size of the plant. We might also expect plants to be more tolerant of slightly cooler temperatures.
Whatever it is called, this plant is a good strong grower, if rather slow. I would have preferred more than just the one flower, but then beggars can't be choosers, can they?

2 comments:

  1. That is a lovely rich colour.Its a shame Chantelle are not open to the public as i would love to visit their nursery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina,
    As far as i'm aware, Chantelle is open by appointment. I haven't got round to visiting her yet (even though she's quite close to me), but I was told I would be welcome to.

    ReplyDelete