Sunday 6 December 2015

Bloom Event - Paphiopedilum leeanum


As I keep saying, I'm not a big grower of slipper orchids. That is why I seem to post so many one here. There are plenty more in spike ! Anyway, say hello to Paphiopedilum leeanum. This is a primary hybrid between P. spicerianum and P. insigne. I don't know enough about either of these to comment on what they have passed to the hybrid. What I can say is that it seems an easy if slow grower, and seems to bloom at around this time of year (Time of writing: December 2015). There are actually two of these in flower. I have several plants; a hangover from the days when I used to sell a few plants. All seem healthy and are growing nicely. It is always an emotional rollercoaster watching new plants settling into my conditions. These seemed healthy on receipt though, and I haven't lost any. There was an attack of red spider mite during the summer but they seem to have shook it off very well although the leaf damage never heals. They grow in my warm growroom (I have read that plain leafed Paphs such as these need cooler conditions, but they don't seem to care).

No comments:

Post a Comment